Todayâ€™s government and non-profit organizations consist of a more diverse workforce. Managing a diverse labor force requires an altered set of skills and attitudes which focus on diversity. Diversity creates an environment that provides promotional opportunities for the workforce. A diverse workforce brings new perspectives, values, cultures, and energy to the organization.
For this Discussion, review this weekâ€™s Resources. Review Chapter 4 of Human Resources Management for Public and Nonprofit Organizations and focus on the management of workplace diversity. Review the “Diversity” segment of the course media and consider the role of human resources in creating a diverse, competent workplace. Consider how regulations such as Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Affirmative Action could impact human resource management in an organization. Reflect on how human resources can manage diversity beyond simply complying with regulations. Identify a government or non-profit organization and consider the function of human resource management in regard to diversity.
With these thoughts in mind:
Post a brief description of a government or non-profit organization you are familiar with. Describe at least two approaches in which human resource managers can promote diversity in the workplace. Explain the effectiveness of these practices in promoting diversity in the workplace. If you are based outside the U.S., explain how you might integrate diversity and globalization into your organizationâ€™s human resource practice.
Be sure to support your postings and responses with specific references to the resources.
- Pynes, J. E. (2013). Human resources management for public and nonprofit organizations: A strategic approach (4th ed.). San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
- Chapter 4, “Managing a Diverse Workforce” (pp. 111â€“135)
- Guy, M. E. (2010). When diversity makes a difference. Public Integrity, 12(2), 173â€“183.
- Strate, J. M., Jung, T. H., & Leidlein, J. (2009). Sexual harassment! Public Integrity, 12(1), 61â€“76.
Retrieved from the Walden Library databases. https://ezp.waldenulibrary.org/login?url=https://s…
- Laureate Education (Producer). (2014). Human resource management [Video file]. Retrieved from https://class.waldenu.edu
- “Diversity” with Ed Drumm, Corporate Vice President, Laureate Education, Inc