Learning Module 3: Applying writing skills
Writing Assignment (5%)
Learning Objectives: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Please review the rubric for this assignment by clicking here.
This week, you will begin by selecting a topic for the final argumentative essay. This requires research, APA format and content of 1200-1350 words. It may seem a daunting task but step by step, week by week, you will be guided through the process and can achieve success.
Below is a list of essays that serve as the beginning point for your final essay . Now, you can change your topic later on if you need, but you are strongly recommended to stick to the topic you pick now.
Begin by reviewing the following articles, which relate to many of the majors Keiser University students are pursuing. However, you do not have to pick the reading that is most relevant to your major. You are free to select any of the six.
- (General Education) Rose, M. â€œWhat college can mean to the other Americaâ€ pp. 194-197
- (Business Related Fields) Gates Jr., H.L. â€œDelusions of grandeurâ€ pp. 381-384
- (Health, Sports, Psychology) Bordo, S. â€œThe globalization of eating disordersâ€ pp. 639-643
- (Criminal Justice, Homeland Security) Chua, A. â€œThe right road to America?â€ pp. 335-340
- (Information Technology) Turkle, S. â€œHow computers change the way we thinkâ€ pp. 721-727
- (Nature and the Environment) Diamond, J. â€œThe last Americans: Environmental collapse and the end of civilizationâ€ pp. 684-701
After you review the six articles, select one, then answer the following questions in a total of 600+ words.
- What is the authorâ€™s thesis? What are his or her major points in the essay? Finally, what do you think is the implications of the authorâ€™s argument? Meaning, how does the author want this piece to affect readers or even society?
- What are your initial reactions to the essay? Consider questions such as whether you agree with the author or not, who the essay benefits most, your personal experiences with the issues in the essay, and what questions come to your mind as you read the article.
- Consider the strategy the author uses to make the argument. What rhetorical modes or strategies are being most used in this argument? Provide evidence.
- In this assignment, you will showcase what you have reviewed and learned to this point.
- Use proper APA format. Review the following video and create your own version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pbUoNa5tyY.
- Use Times New Roman, 12-point font only.
- Answer each question in a paragraph of 200-250 words for a total of a minimum 600+ words.
- Use quotes, paraphrasing, and summarizing in your essay. No more than 20% of your essay should be source material.
- The associated reading must be used in your essay. No other sources should be used.
- Upload your essay as an attachment in the dropbox.
- The assignment is due by Sunday at 11:59 PM Eastern.