In this post, you examine the research related to a therapy based on cognitive or cognitive behavior theory to determine its effectiveness.
- Recall the client from the case study you have been using in this course. You will apply your research for this Discussion to that client.
- Select one therapy from the following: cognitive behavior therapy, dialectical behavioral therapy, acceptance and commitment therapy, or reality therapy.
- Conduct a search in the Walden Library for one peer-reviewed research study about the effectiveness of the therapy you selected.
- Note: You must select a study that has not already been used by a colleague in the Discussion. Each student is required to identify a unique research study.
- Remember when looking for studies to take into account your clientâ€™s age and developmental stage and presenting problem.
- Provide the reference for the study you found using APA guidelines.
- Briefly paraphrase, in 2 to 3 sentences, the methodological context (i.e., research method, how data was collected, and the instruments used) of the study and the findings.
- Evaluate the findings in terms of its applicability or appropriateness for the client in your case study.
- Determine whether you would use or not use the therapy you selected for the client in your selected case study (consider how culturally relevant it is, how aligned it is with social work ethics, etc.) and explain why.
Turner, F. J. (Ed.). (2017). Social work treatment: Interlocking theoretical approaches (6th ed.). New York, NY: Oxford University Press.
- Chapter 4: Cognitive Behavior Theory and Social Work Treatment (pp. 54â€“79)
- Chapter 5: Cognitive Theory and Social Work Treatment (pp. 80â€“95)