The goal of this discussion forum is to enhance your understanding of memory phenomena. For your initial post, complete the following steps:
- Watch the following video: How Does Your Memory Work?
- Go to the Coglab to experience one of the procedures/tasks that scientists have used to investigate attention and its different manifestations.
- Select one of the following experiments:
- Serial Position (i.e., how memory for a list depends on itemsâ€™ positions within the list)
- Implicit Learning (i.e., how learning occurs without awareness)
- Suffix Effect (i.e., how adding an irrelevant item to the end of a list affects recall of the final items).
Keep in mind that each experiment illustrates a procedure/task that is used by scientists to understand how long-term memory functions. Read the section of the textbook devoted to the selected experiment. Then, consider what participantsâ€™ performance on the corresponding task tells you about long-term memory and its strengths and weaknesses. Also, consider the extent to which the results of the selected experiment apply to real-life experiences and settings. Support your points with evidence from at least one peer-reviewed research article. Your initial post must be a minimum of 300 words.