Your qualitative critique/appraisal paper should be written in a narrative format.
The questions presented here are to guide the information you should include in your paper. The information in your papers should be complete with justification for statements your make.
1. In the introduction, you (the writer of this critique) should introduce the reader to the article you are critiquing, the authors of the article, and to the purpose of your paper.
Introduction to the Critique: Initial Considerations
1. Does the introduction demonstrate the need for the study?
2. Is the underlying clinical problem clearly and concisely identified?
3. What is the underlying clinical problem?
4. Is the clinical problem presented with enough background material to make a
case for the problem identified?
5. Is the purpose of the study clearly stated?
6. Is the research relevant to nursing?
7. How do the authors explain the relevance to nursing?
8. Is the research focused on a human experience within a natural setting? 9. What is the phenomenon of interest?
10. Are the assumptions clearly and simply stated?
11. Is the research question clearly stated and what is it?
12. Did the author(s) identify the qualitative research approach used in the
13. Were the methods consistent with the qualitative research approach and its
Review of the Literature
1. Did the researcher(s) provide a broad organized review of the literature that included disciplines other than nursing?
2. Did the literature review include adequate information to build a logical argument for the current study?
3. Did the author provide enough evidence to support the verdict that the study was needed?
4. Does the literature review summary identify what was known or not know about the research problem at the time the article was written?
5. Does the literature review provide direction for the formation of the purpose of the study?
1. Did the researchers select a qualitative approach that produced data to meet the objectives or answer the research question?
2. What sampling method was used in the study?
3. How was the sample obtained?
4. Was this sampling method appropriate to the topic of the study?
5. Were methods were taken to protect the human subjects?
6. What methods were taken to protect the participants in this study?
7. Did the sample have any attrition? If so, was it explained?
8. Was the data collection process described?
9. How were the data collected?
10. Was the data analysis process described?
11. How were the data analyzed?
1. Is the presentation of the data clear?
2. Were the findings linked to quotes or specific observations?
3. If findings were unexpected, what explanations were given for why this may
4. Are the characteristics of the sample described?
5. Was the best method(s) of analysis selected? How was the data analyzed?
6. How was rigor ensured in the analysis process?
7. Are there any tables, charts, and graphs? Are they pertinent?
8. Were the interpretations accurately illustrated with quotes from the
1. Are the results based on the data presented?
2. Is the evidence sufficient to draw conclusions?
3. Are the results interpreted in the context of the problem/purpose and
theoretical framework/literature reviewed?
4. Are the conclusions and generalizations clearly stated?
5. Are the limitations of the findings clearly delineated?
6. Are the generalizations within the scope of the findings or beyond the
7. Does the study contribute to nursing knowledge?
1. Did the study adhere to the appropriate methodology and rigor to ensure accurate findings?
2. Could the limitations of the study have been prevented? How?
3. Does the study expand nursesâ€™ understanding of the phenomenon studied?
4. If so, how can the findings be used in nursing practice and education?
5. How does this study support future knowledge development?
6. Were there any recommendations for future research?
APA (must follow APA, 6th edition manual)
Points deducted for errors in each category below: 2 pts deducted for 1-2 errors; 4 pts deducted for 3-5 errors; 6 pts deducted for 6-8 errors; and 8 pts deducted for >9 errors). Refer to your APA manual for the items included in each area.
1. Manuscript structure and content=8 2. Writing style=8
3. Mechanics of style=8
4. Sentence Structure=8
5. Wording style=8