Project #1: Interview with a health care system stakeholder.
Identify a significant stakeholder in the U.S. health care system, contact him or her, and arrange and conduct an interview (in person, or over the phone). This stakeholder may be a hospital administrator, a physician, a nurse, a health insurance executive, a politician, a human resources manager at a company, or a consumer with significant knowledge of or experience with the health care system. (Note: We will discuss assignments of stakeholder type in class.) During the interview, pose the following questions (you may ask additional questions, as you have time):
- What are the major problems with the U.S. health care system today, from your perspective?
- What major trends do you see occurring in the health care system in the next 5 to 10 years?
- What changes would you like to see in the system, and how could they be brought about?
- What do you see as your role in improving health and health care delivery?
- From your perspective, what is the outlook for careers in healthcare management?
- What are top 5 skills or competencies needed for a career in healthcare management?
Write up and submit your intervieweeâ€™s answers to the foregoing questions. Do not omit to list the name, organization, and title of the person you selected for interview and why you selected this individual.