Over time, a societyâ€™s perception of human rights changes. These changes have often been the result of negative events that motivated society to adapt its values in an attempt to avoid the occurrence of similar incidents. In this paper, a current ethical issue that resulted from repeated negative events will be explored in terms of how it motivated the adaptation of the APA Ethics Code.
Use the following information to ensure successful completion of the assignment:
- This assignment uses a grading rubric. Instructors will be using the rubric to grade the assignment; therefore, students should review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the assignment criteria and expectations for successful completion of the assignment.
- Prepare this assignment according to the APA guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center. An abstract is required but is not included in the total word count of the paper.
- Support all statements with appropriate, contemporary research. Cite and reference at least two scholarly sources other than those in the module and assignment readings.
Review the following:
- American Psychological Association. (2009, August 5).APA Council of Representatives directs change in its ethics code to prevent so-called Nuremberg defense. APA News and Events.
- American Psychological Association. (2010, February 24). American Psychological Association amends ethics code to address potential conflicts among professional ethics, legal authority, and organizational demands. APA News and Events.
- American Psychological Association. (2010). Standard 1: Resolving ethical issues. Ethical principles of psychologists and code of conduct: 2010 amendments.
Write a paper of 1,000-1,250 words that addresses the clarifications to the APA position regarding human rights protection. Address the following in your paper:
- What is the so-called Nuremberg defense? How did this influence the decision to clarify the APA Ethics Code?
- How does the new verbiage in the 2010 Ethics Code enhance the APA Council of Representatives’ resolution of 2007 and the referendum-based policy change of 2008 on the topic of human rights protection?
- Compare the current (2010) version of the Ethics Code to the 2002 version. Does the current version reflect a socially improving society or a socially declining society? Why?