DISCUSS: REGULATING ETHICS
250-word (not including in-text citation and references as word count) count minimum with two scholarly sources in APA format. For the two scholarly sources, one from the textbook thatâ€™s posted below and the other one from an outside source. Letâ€™s be sure to write it in own work 100% and give credit appropriately when using someoneâ€™s else work.
The discussion question asks for your views about whether certain business activities are overregulated or not regulated enough. Focus on a single law (regulation) that you think needs to be strengthened or needs to be scaled back, choosing from the various laws described in Chapter 4, pp. 95-106. Be specific about the changes that you would make.
Like in Unit 1, your opinions are important, but scoring will depend largely on the evidence you provide to support your opinions. Showing both sides of an argument always makes it stronger. Use the book or outside sources and remember that any ideas, paraphrases, or quotes should be documented with citations and references following APA guidelines. It can be useful to include the page number in the citation – even if you are not using direct quotes â€“ because it lets everyone know exactly what youâ€™re referring to.
The emphasis should be on documenting what was learned about Federal laws from the Read and Attend sections.
Review the legal requirements for ethical behavior in Chapter 4 (pp. 95-113) and choose a position about whether ethics in business are over regulated or not regulated enough.
1) If you think ethics are over regulated, identify a specific law or regulation from the text and describe how you would change it. If you think ethics are not regulated enough, describe how you would strengthen one of the existing laws or regulations described in the text. In either case, choose from the material on pp. 95-113. Any of the laws (regulations) can be used, except for Dodd-Frank and the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (those are covered in the Complete assignment).
Be specific about the changes you would make, and explain how your proposals would result in a better balance.
Defend your position with evidence using citations and references that follow APA guidelines. To follow university guidelines, a minimum of two scholarly sources are required and the initial post should be a minimum of 250 words.
Update the subject line of the initial post so that it reflects what you are writing about. (Name the file as what you are writing about and save under there)
1,300 word count and there is a total of 4 questions (not including in-text citation and references as the word count), a minimum of three scholarly sources are required in APA format. For the three scholarly sources, one from the textbook thatâ€™s posted below and the other two from an outside source. Letâ€™s be sure to write it in own work 100% and give appropriately when using someoneâ€™s else work.
Q1 is a three-part question and can be answered fully using information from the Read and Attend sections. Parts 1 and 2 are asking about specific ethical and legal issues and will require documentation (in-text citations and references) showing where you are using information from the assigned material. Part 3 is asking for your recommendations/opinion. Documentation is not required for that, but supporting evidence can strengthen any argument.
Writing tip: A separate paragraph for each part of a multi-part question like this can be a useful organizer.
Q2 – Q4 all need very current outside sources.
There are required sources for Q2 and Q4 in the Unit 2 Course Materials section. Along with the book, they will count as sources to meet the minimum requirements.
Q2 – Q4 ask everyone to take a position on specific issues. The stakeholder orientation that we used in the Unit 1 discussion can be a useful way to frame these questions; it can help show whether the benefits of your position outweigh the benefits of another position, or vice versa. Arguments that show both sides of an issue will always be stronger than those that don’t. As in the discussion, scoring will depend more on the evidence you provide to support your position, than on what your opinions and recommendations are.
Each response should be researched using the course materials and/or outside sources, including in-text citations and references following APA formatting.
1. Read the Sing & Dance scenario on pp. 59-61, trying to see the situation from Jackieâ€™s perspective. Answer the following:
1) Which of the ethical issues and dilemmas described in Chapter Three are evident in this scenario?
2) Is Jackie the victim of illegal sexual harassment or gender discrimination? Explain.
3) What should Jackie do? What professional and private outcomes will result from that choice?
Read the Chapter Three debate issue on page 85. Clearly state whether
1) Googleâ€™s storage of user data is appropriate and does not violate usersâ€™ privacy, or
2) Googleâ€™s storage of user data is inappropriate and violates usersâ€™ privacy.
Explain your answer.
3. The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB)
Read the Chapter Four debate issue on page 111. Clearly state whether
1) The CFPBâ€™s benefits to consumers outweigh the burden on financial institutions, or
2) The CFPBâ€™s burden on financial institutions outweigh the benefits to consumers.
Explain your answer.
4. Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform (Dodd-Frank)
Dodd-Frank has been in the news since it was passed in 2010, with some arguing that it imposes too great a burden on financial institutions, and others arguing that it does not go far enough to prevent the â€œtoo big to failâ€ scenario that we saw in the recent financial crisis.
Research the current state of the law and answer the following:
1) What is the current state of executive orders and/or legislation regarding Dodd-Frank? What changes to the original bill have been made or are in the legislative pipeline?
2) Does Dodd-Frank currently strike the right balance? If so, explain. If not, describe the changes that should be made to the law.
Last part of Assignment:
1) Watch the documentary â€œInside the Meltdown.â€ It is about an hour long and details some of the specific business practices that led to the economy falling apart in 2008, and to the passage of the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform Act (Dodd-Frank) along with the creation of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB). Those are covered in Chapter 4, and make up a large part of the Unit 2 Complete assignment.
Here’s a link to the video:
The documentary offers an insider view of the financial meltdown from the point of view of Washington and New York. It starts on September 18, 2008. In the first few moments, members of the Congressional leadership are astonished to be brought into a private session with the Federal Reserve Chairman and told that the American and international financial system was in grave danger of a complete meltdown in a matter of days. One of them noted, â€œThere was literally a pause in that room while the oxygen left.â€
2) Write a one page report (300-400 words), summarizing what you learned and indicating how the video helps (or doesn’t help) create a better understanding of Dodd Frank and the CFPB. Follow APA requirements for a cover page and reference page and post the assignment to the Unit 2 Drop Box any time before the Sunday night due date for Unit 2.