Legal, Ethics and Corp. Class
First Assignment: Answer the 10 questions below. Site your source. Each answer must be 300 words or more.
1.Unethical conduct is not necessarily illegal conduct; however, the difference between ethical and unethical conduct can be difficult to spot. Using the Internet, identify an example of when a company engaged in legal, but arguably unethical, conduct. Next, determine two (2) reasons why this conduct could be deemed unethical and why you believe the company failed to make the right decision. Lastly, speculate on the ramifications of the company’s arguably unethical conduct on its customer base. Justify your response.
2.What is an Executive Order and is it binding? Why was President Obama’s Executive Order on Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) so controversial in relation to the balance of government powers? How do these Orders affect management decisions in business?
3.Who can be found guilty of a Business Crime and what is the key to establishing criminal liability? Using the internet, research and post an example of a business crime committed in the last 2 years and any and all of those who were held criminally liable. (See the examples of types of business crimes in the chapter reading). Include your source for information in your answer.
4.When in the private workplace do we have a “reasonable expectation of privacy?” If management’s interest is to make sure its employees are productive, can management monitor computers, workstations, phones, etc. Why or why not?
5.Can management/employers today use personal information and lifestyle posts on social media to make a determination of whether to hire someone? Why or why not? Support your answer.
6.Imagine you are a senior manager in a U.S. manufacturing firm who procures component parts and services from various states. What is required for a valid contract and what might put your company at risk if not sufficiently scrutinized prior to signing a contract. Explain contract formation and differences pursuant to Common Law versus the Uniform Commercial Code. Why is it important to distinguish and identify which applies?
7.Research one (1) breach of contract case involving a U.S. company and the application of Contracts for the International Sale of Goods (CISG). Explain the facts of the case, the dispute and the contract law that the court applied and why. Please be sure to include your source and citation for your case.
8.The power of advertising is in its persuasive influence, and this influence can take several different forms. Research and explain (2) examples of persuasive advertising that might (or did) go too far with their message. Next, argue why you believe these messages crossed the line between effective persuasion and unfair and deceptive trade practices listed within Section 13-2: Advertising as a Contract Basis for Product Liability of your textbook. Provide support for your response.
9.Research the Internet or the Strayer Library for information about latest activities by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), and National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Analyze the current state of government regulation for product safety to determine whether these administrative agencies are generally proactive or reactive. Provide one (1) specific example of each agency to support your response.
10.Discuss your reaction to the public service announcement (PSA) video below in relation to the marketing and advertising of junk food to children. Is the PSA appropriate or inappropriate? Explain your rationale. https://www.youtube.com/watch?
Second Assignment: Write a five (5) page paper
Topic: Facebook Live Killings
Read the article Cleveland Shooting Highlight’s Facebook’s Responsibility in Policing Depraved Videos found at: http://www.nbcnews.com/
Write a five (5) page paper in which you:
- Discuss whether or not you believe that Facebook has a legal or ethical duty to rescue a crime victim.
- Suggest and elaborate on three (3) ways that social media platforms can be more proactive and thorough with their review of the types of content that appear on their sites.
- Propose two (2) safeguards that Facebook and other social media platforms should put into place to help prevent acts of violence from being broadcasted.
- Conduct some research to determine whether or not Facebook has an Ethics Officer or Oversight Committee. If so, discuss the key functions of these positions. If not, debate on whether or not they should create these roles.
- Propose two (2) changes Facebook should adopt to encourage ethical use of their platform.
- Use at least two (2) quality resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia is not an acceptable reference and proprietary Websites do not qualify as academic resources.
Follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Analyze and apply the concepts of ethical decision-making, corporate governance, and corporate social responsibility
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in law, ethics, and corporate governance.
- Write clearly and concisely about law, ethics, and corporate governance using proper writing mechanics.