Prior to beginning work on this assignment, read and review Chapters 1-8 of Introduction to Leadership: Concepts and Practice. Additionally, review the Week 3 Weekly Lecture and Week 5 Final Paper pages.
By the end of Week 3, you have covered many topics about leadership (Chapters 1-8). You have taken self-assessment surveys, created journal entries on leadership, and have begun to understand some of your own strengths and weaknesses with regard to leadership. In addition, you started building your Final Paper in the Week 2 Effective Leadership assignment.
This week you learned that leadership is a skill that can be learned, the importance of developing a strong vision, and the relationship between effective leadership and productive work. This assignment will help you continue building your Final Paper. As a reminder, the Final Paper will allow you to choose a chief executive officer (CEO), chief operating officer (COO), or other business leaders and learn about them, their skills, traits, strengths, and weaknesses as well.
This paper will build upon your Week 2 Effective Leadership assignment. You will incorporate the feedback you received from your instructor from the Week 2 Effective Leadership assignment and add the content for this paper into the same document. Sections A and B were completed last week, and this week you will add Section C. Update your title page, add any new references to your references page, and update your introduction and conclusion.
Section C: Address all of these bullets (create an appropriate APA headingâ€”do not label as â€œSection Câ€ in your paper):
- Identify which one of the six dimensions you have learned about (i.e., trait, ability, skill, behavior, relationship, and process) seems to be the most obvious for this person.
- Describe the biggest challenge this leader had to face and how was it overcome.
- Identify the trait or skill the person used to overcome this challenge.
- Explain if the leader was successful in overcoming the challenge and why or why not.
- Describe the style of leadership this person exhibits (i.e., authoritarian, democratic, or laissez-faire).
- Provide specific examples for why you chose this style.
- Explain emotional intelligence and its importance as a leadership skill.
- Describe the model of primary leadership skills and its components.
- Explain the importance of a leader following and communicating a vision and setting the tone.
It is strongly encouraged that you receive feedback on your paper using the Ashford Writing Center before submitting this assignment. It is recommended that you submit your paper for a paper review at least two days before your assignment is due in order to receive feedback and implement it into your paper before submitting your paper to Waypoint. For instructions on how to use this feature, please review the Ashford Writing Center Paper Review (Links to an external site.)web page.
The Leadership Styles, Skills, and Vision paper
- Must be four to six double-spaced pages in length (not including title and references pages) and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Centerâ€™s APA Style (Links to an external site.)
- Must include a separate title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Studentâ€™s name
- Course name and number
- Instructorâ€™s name
- Date submitted
For further assistance with the formatting and the title page, refer to APA Formatting for Word 2013 (Links to an external site.).
- Must utilize academic voice. See the Academic Voice (Links to an external site.) resource for additional guidance.
- Must include an introduction and conclusion paragraph. Your introduction paragraph needs to end with a clear thesis statement that indicates the purpose of your paper.
- For assistance on writing Introductions & Conclusions (Links to an external site.) as well as Writing a Thesis Statement (Links to an external site.), refer to the Ashford Writing Center resources.
- Must use at least three scholarly or credible sources in addition to the course text.
- The Scholarly, Peer-Reviewed, and Other Credible Sources (Links to an external site.) table offers additional guidance on appropriate source types. If you have questions about whether a specific source is appropriate for this assignment, please contact your instructor. Your instructor has the final say about the appropriateness of a specific source for a particular assignment.
- Must document any information used from sources in APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Centerâ€™s Citing Within Your Paper (Links to an external site.)
Must include a separate references page that is formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center. See the Formatting Your References List (Links to an external site.) resource in the Ashford Writing Center for specifications.