Assignmentâ€”Language of Song Lyrics
In this assignment, you will apply the concepts of ambiguity and vagueness you explored this week to the lyrics of a song. Do the following:
- Select a song you particularly enjoy. When selecting a song, look at the words/phrases carefully. Make sure you select a song that will give you options when trying to interpret its meaning.
- The assignment is about the words and how one can interpret them. You should be able to interpret what is being said in the song; specifically, to identify words or phrases that you may find vague or ambiguous.
Then, complete the following tasks for the assignment:
- Use your critical thinking skills to interpret the song, and then restate in your own words what the composer is trying to communicate.
- You should include the lyrics in your assignment, but the word count is based on your response NOT including the lyrics. Your interpretation should be at least 200 words and should be written in full, complete sentences.
- Song lyrics are an example of another person’s work and, therefore, should be cited as such. Use this format:
Songwriter, W. W. (Date of copyright). Title of song [Recorded by artist if different from song writer]. On Title of album[Medium of recording]. Location: Label. (Recording date if different from copyright date).
Here’s an example:
Taupin, B. (1975). Someone saved my life tonight [Recorded by Elton John]. On Captain fantastic and the brown dirt cowboy [CD]. London, England: Big Pig Music Limited.
Answer the questions in about 200 words in Word format.