- Find some relaxing, instrumental music. The music we used in class is
Links to an external site.
- If you would like something visual to focus on, use the image in the music video or light a candle.
- Set a timer for 5 minutes.
- Focus your attention on the object of your choice: the music, the image, the candle flame, your breath moving in and out, or anything else that helps you focus and relax.
- Try to maintain your focus for the 5-minute period. If your mind wanders, simply refocus whenever you notice it, without self-criticism.
In approximately 300 words, describe your experience with this stress management technique, including:
- Have you ever tried this technique before?
- What was your mental, emotional, and/or physical state when we started the exercise?
- What was your mental, emotional, and/or physical state during the exercise?
- What was your mental, emotional, and/or physical state after the exercise?
- Do you think this technique will help you manage stress? Do you think it would be helpful for any of your friends or family?