In addition, review “The 100 most eminent psychologists of the 20th century”. You must also find one scholarly article written by your selected psychologist (see instructions below). Finally, review Instructor Guidance and Announcements. In this discussion, you will consider the historical underpinnings (or foundations) of the study of psychology by describing classic theory and research and distinguishing variations in psychological functioning. Be sure to use your own academic voice (Links to an external site.) and apply in-text citations (Links to an external site.) appropriately throughout your post.
Theory assists psychologists in better understanding human behavior, emotion, social skills, and overall mental health. In essence, theory helps us to better understand human psychological functioning, which embodies how a person achieves one’s goals that are reflected within the self in conjunction with the environment and their relationships. Thus, understanding how researchers go about formulating theories is an important foundation in the science of psychology. In this discussion, you will be exploring this process by researching a psychologist, learning about him/her, and completing the following:
- Select one noted psychologist from any of the included lists in “The 100 Most Eminent Psychologists of the 20th Century”. Haggbloom et al. (2002). Locate information about this person to learn more about him/her and his/her work.
- Locate a scholarly article (Links to an external site.) written by the individual you chose from the Ashford Library (Links to an external site.).
- Upon entering the library, click on the Advanced Search option in the Search box. Enter the name of your selected psychologist in the search field. Then, select AU Author in the drop down menu to the right of the search box. In the second search box, enter the word psychology (no need to click on the drop down menu to select a field).
- Below the search boxes, look for the Limit your results section and select Limit to Full Text and Limit to Scholarly/Peer Reviewed.
- Then, click Search.
Alternatively, you may choose a source that is identified in “
” and then search by “TI Title”. The library will not have every source, so if you choose a book or an article that is unavailable, try another option.
- Summarize (Links to an external site.) the contributions of the influential figure you selected to the field of psychology. In your discussion, include the following:
- Describe your selected psychologist and his or her main contributions to the field.
- Next, summarize (Links to an external site.) the scholarly article you read. Your summary should provide an overview of the theoretical perspective and describe any empirical work (i.e., research study) that is presented in the article. For additional assistance on how to summarize an article click here.
- Examine how this theory/research provides insight into differences in psychological functioning.
- In layman’s terms, what does the theoretical perspective, that you explain, tell us about the differences between people and how they behave, think, and feel? How might it explain why they do what they do?
- Illustrate with an example from your own observation or experience.
- What personal experiences or observations of these types of behaviors might be able to be explained by this perspective?
- Example: If I experienced a trauma, how might this trauma affect how I behave in certain situations?