For this Discussion, you will examine qualitative research as it relates to qualitative design considerations.
To prepare for this Discussion:
- Review the Learning Resources and the Fundamentals of Qualitative Research Methods: Developing a Qualitative Research Question video and consider the basic guidelines for qualitative research design.
- Use the Course Guide and Assignment Help found in this weekâ€™s Learning Resources and search for a qualitative research article. (Note: This article should be the research article you are using for your Major Assignment 1.)
- Review the qualitative research article you found and identify each of the components of the research design and consider what is present and what is missing.
- Identify what the authors did to document positionality, reflexivity, and bias.
By Day 4
Transform your notes from your preparation work into three paragraphs and post the following:
- A brief statement of the purpose and primary research question the article addresses
- An assessment of how thoroughly the research design was presented, including what was missing
- An assessment of the extent of the researcherâ€™s presentation of positionality, reflexivity, and bias
Be sure to support your main post and response post with reference to the weekâ€™s Learning Resources and other scholarly evidence in APA style.
Ravitch, S. M., & Carl, N. M. (2016). Qualitative research: Bridging the conceptual, theoretical, and methodological. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Chapter 3, â€œCritical Qualitative Research Designâ€ (pp. 85â€“89) (previously read in Week 2)
Rubin, H. J., & Rubin, I. S. (2012). Qualitative interviewing: The art of hearing data (3rd ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
- Chapter 3, â€œQualitative Data-Gathering Methods and Styleâ€ (pp. 25â€“39)
- Chapter 4, â€œDesigning Research for the Responsive Interviewing Modelâ€ (pp. 42â€“57)
Walden University Center for Research Quality. (2015). Research resources: Research design & analysis. Retrieved from http://academicguides.waldenu.edu/researchcenter/resources/Design
Use this website to guide as you as you consider research design and analysis for your Discussions and Assignments during this week.
Walden University Library. (n.d.). Course guide and assignment help for RSCH 8310. Retrieved from http://academicguides.waldenu.edu/rsch8310
Use this website to search for articles based on the requirements for the Discussion and/or Assignment.
Document: Major Assignment 1: Developing a Research Topic for a Qualitative Study Assignment Guidelines (PDF)
Use this document to help you as you write your purpose statement for Part 1 of your Major Assignment 1.
Yale University. (2015, June 23). Fundamentals of qualitative research methods: Developing a qualitative research question (Module 2) [Video file]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0HxMpJsm0I
Note: The approximate length of this media piece is 12 minutes.
As you review this video, focus on how you will develop a good research question for your Major Assignment 1.
Laureate Education (Producer). (2010). Doctoral research: Ensuring quality in qualitative research [Video file]. Baltimore, MD: Author.
Note: The approximate length of this media piece is 4 minutes.
In this media program, qualitative research expert Dr. Laura Lynn talks about the issue of researcher bias in the interview process.