The purpose of this discussion is for you to demonstrate your understanding of the material. Approach your response as though it is a mini essay with complete sentences, distinct paragraphs, and correct spelling and punctuation. Grammar and spelling matter. Online courses demand the same standard of academic communication and use of grammar as face-to-face courses.
Using a minimum of 300 words, respond to the following prompts:
- Use the article and videos below on Stereotype Threat, as well as the various theories on intelligence to respond to the following questions:
- How can the research on stereotype threat help to explain some group differences in intelligence and achievement tests?
- Some researchers assert that relying solely on such tests for making hiring and college admission decisions is possibly unethical. Given some of the problems with IQ tests, do you agree? Why or why not?
- APA -Stereotype Threat Widens Achievement Gap https://www.apa.org/research/action/stereotype.aspx (Links to an external site.)
- Dr. Claude Steele and Stereotype Threat –Stereotype Threat: A Conversation with Claude Steele (Links to an external site.)
- Women, Math and Stereotype Threat –Women, math, and stereotype threat (Links to an external site.)
2. Does language influence thought or does thought influence language? Can you think of examples of how language affects cognition?
In addition, you are expected to provide a supportive and/or reflective comment to the post of one classmate. In order to receive the maximum possible 15 points, you must accurately and thoroughly answer each part of the discussion prompt using at least 300 words (including the prompt in your response is not included in the word count) and comment on the post of one of your classmates.