I have an assignment to develop a bad news message that demonstrates their ability to analyze a situation, evaluate and outline options, and create a document that delivers the information in the most effective way. Use the following scenario to develop and communicate bad news to a client.
“Jack’s boss has just told him that due to budget cuts, several people in his team will have to go. Jack manages a happy, successful team, and he has no idea how to deliver this bad news.”
Source – https://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/bad-news.htm. Delivering Bad News.docx
Structure of Assignment:
First: Develop an Outline (You may use a keyword/sentence outline format)
- Student will first provide an outline of the communication that Jack needs to share with his staff
- Student will provide a list of possible options, indicating reasons for his/her choice, of how Jack may deliver the bad news message to his team
Second: Write the ‘Bad News’ Communication Message
Once the outline is complete the student will develop and write the bad news message that Jack’s employees will receive. The written communication must be a minimum of one page and a maximum of two pages. Student must upload to Blackboard their outlines along with the completed communication. The assignment must be uploaded as one Microsoft Word document. If uploaded in any other format, you will earn a zero for the assignment.
Resource for this assignment:
- Chapter 7 in Business Communication Text
- Examples of Keyword and Sentence outlines may be found at Purdue OWL https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/544/03…
- Delivering Bad News Messages at http://www.krconsulting.com/saying-no-how-to-deliv…
- Other web resources.