charleston and opioids paper and powerpoint
Your Portfolio Project for this class is a community action plan designed to alleviate or correct a public health issue in your community. Your community can be your business, school, neighborhood, town or city of residence or birth, or county.
For option 1, your community action plan will be a professional portfolio that includes a written report and a slide presentation.
Below is a useful site where you can find an example of the elements of an action plan.
http://www.cityofchicago.org/dam/city/depts/cdph/tobacco_alchohol_and_drug_abuse/LGBTCommunityActionPlanHC.pdf (Links to an external site.)
Preliminary Deliverables: These deliverables must be submitted in the assigned week:
- Week 2: Written Response and Project Selection (20 points): Provide a brief one-paragraph response indicating which assignment option and public health issue you have selected and why. This will help your instructor to be aware of your plans and support you in the development of this project. Upload your response as a Word document.
- Week 7: Preliminary Written Report and Peer Review Feedback (30 points) Submit a preliminary (rough) draft of the written portion of your Portfolio Project as well as proof of peer review. Remember to include the following sections: introduction, symptoms, diagnosis, cure, prevention, and summary. Peer review feedback is also included in this assignment. Create a post that includes your written report as an attachment using the Portfolio Project Milestone discussion forum for peer review feedback. Provide feedback to at least one of your classmates. Choose a classmate with no other feedback first, to ensure that everyone receives some feedback from their peers. In this preliminary draft submission, indicate which project you responded to.
Final Paper Instructions:
- The case study, with four sections (Symptoms, Diagnosis, Cure, and Prevention). Each section should be about a page in length. Your entire paper must be 4-5 pages in length not counting the title or reference pages, which must be included. Your paper must follow the CSU-Global Guide to Writing & APA (Links to an external site.).
- In the Symptoms section, describe the public health issue that you have observed in your community. What â€œsymptomsâ€ does it exhibit? Think about whom it affects, where it affects them, and how (Refer back to module 5 CT 1).
- In the Diagnosis section, discuss the causes of the issue, and give examples of other communities that have suffered the same problem. How did those communities solve or attempt to address the issue?
- In the Cure section, discuss possible options for a cure for this public health issue. How can you get rid of it, or reduce its occurrence in your community?
- In the prevention section, discuss possible options for prevention of the public health issue that you have selected. How can you reduce the chance of people being impacted by your issue in the future?
- You must back up your sections using at least two scholarly articles. You may use readings other than the textbook to meet this requirement. The paper should be based on references to scholarly materials (rather than on introductory textbooks, popular website writings, or musings, for example) and should support your claims with evidence.
- Incorporate into this final plan any classmatesâ€™ critiques that you found useful as well as your instructorâ€™s feedback.
- The key community members or partners that you plan on contacting, with an explanation why these individuals or organizations make sense as potential partners. This could include partners from your list of potential partners created in week 4 Critical Thinking Assignment Option #1, or your interview of one key partner completed in week 4 Critical Thinking Option #2. Incorporate them into a discussion of your plan, do not just list them.
- A special emphasis on either the demographics of the affected population or the economic implications, depending on what Critical Thinking assignment you completed for week 5.
- A realistic timeline for your plan. Discuss the time needed for campaigning, education, funding, building, and implementation. Use ideas created during week 6 Critical Thinking Assignments, either the option for annotated bibliography or that for the brainstorming draft feedback.
- The paper shall comply with the requirements defined within the CSU-Global APA guidelines.
- Refer to the Portfolio Project rubric for grading criteria.
Final Instructions for Slide Presentation:
- The slide presentation describes the problem in your community and your action plan.
- Your presentation must be 8-10 slides in length not counting the title and reference slides.
- Your presentation must be supported by at least two scholarly articles.
- You may use a Web-based slide presentation software such as Prezi, for example, or you may use PowerPoint. If you use a Web-based tool, include the URL to your presentation in a Word document and upload with your presentation.
- The audience for this presentation will be community members or organizations you wish to educate about the public health issue and your proposed plan.
- The purpose of this slide presentation is to educate the audience about the issue. Keep in mind that in real life you will have limited time to convince people of the gravity of the situation and to come on board with their support, so you want to be persuasive and get to the key points quickly and effectively.
Note: Be sure to submit both your written report and your slide presentation for this assignment. Both files should be uploaded in a single submission to the assignment submission page.
The paper and preliminary deliverables must be well written and formatted in conformity with the CSU-Global Guide to Writing & APA (Links to an external site.).
Review the Sample PowerPoint Presentation (linked at the bottom of the page) in the CSU-Global Library as well.