USE EASY ENGLISH & ONLY ONE PAGE LONG
In Written Assignment #2, you revised an email (i.e., tone, wordiness, organizational structure) from Ms. Sybil Montrose, a company manager, who was writing company employees to inform them that the company was implementing an expanded Email and Internet Policy and to persuade the employees to use email sparingly for personal use and to sign and return the new policy, which was sent as an attachment to her email. Employees at companies across the nation and around the world receive these types of emails from management because “as advances in computer technology continue to change the way we work and play, Internet use on and off the job has become a danger zone for employees and employers.
Internet misuse costs employers millions of dollars in lost productivity and litigation, and it can cost employees their jobs. A survey by the American Management Association revealed that 26% of employers fired workers for email misuse. In addition, 2% terminated employees for using instant messaging, and another 2% for posting offensive blog content from a company machine or, yes, the employee’s own computer (Class textbook, Chapter 7, Note 88, p 242). Companies struggle with fair Internet use policies knowing that over half of their employees with Web access shop online from the office (Ibid, Note 89, p 242).” — From Class textbook, Activity 7.22, p 240.
For Written Assignment #3, please do the following:
1. Review the PPT slides —
2. Read the following Biz Blog (MU’s HRM Blog) article
http://learn.marymount.edu/hrmblog/vive-la-france?utm_source=hs_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=43155876&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-8rJWpO2wYaCxpJi5gM_88hITkbGTfXFWPxgDnUQFVVGS_tCFSDeUkiAqICtn7UChgWzE9SIYc4M-V7oiWsaRJMTFGIUg&_hsmi=43155876 (Links to an external site.)
- Be sure to read the Times magazine article that’s contained in the blog
3. Watch the following YouTube video by Simon Sinek on Millennials in the Workplace
4. Your two (2) tasks for the written part of the assignment:
- Identify your:
- purpose — what are you trying to accomplish/convey to the executive audience?
- result — what do you want the audience to do as a result of your communication?
- List four (4) of the audience’s characteristics/motivation that you anticipated when you profiled the audience and will adapt to (steps 2 and 3 in the Pre-writing Phase of the Writing Process) when you write your blog entry (e.g., level of formality, tone, direct or indirect strategy/and why)
- Helpful Hint: See p 127, Fig. 4.2, in your textbook
- Use the following information:
- Your boss is aware of the AMA’s percentages of Internet misuse in the introductory paragraphs and has read/watched the information in MU’s Biz Blog and Simon Sinek’s YouTube video interview (a podcast) and is considering whether to prohibit all personal use of the Internet at your workplace, including IM, texting, visiting shopping websites, viewing YouTube videos, and other forms of social media.
- Compose a one-page blog entry to your boss.
- Consider the following questions:
- How would you justify keeping Internet access open?
- What arguments would you use for allowing unlimited or partial access to the Web?
- Follow the 8 Best Practices for Blogs on pp 225 – 227
- Use the proper blog format (title, headings, list of important points, etc).
- Helpful Hint: Use the format in Fig. 7.13, p 227 to format your blog entry
- Consider the following questions:
- Limit your assignment to one page!
- Your blog should NOT be a “rough draft.”
- Rather, it should be as near to complete as possible and should be a document you would give to your supervisor to review.
5. BRING a hard-copy of your blog to class.
Remember, five (5) points will be deducted from your final point grade for each day your assignment is late.
- I will review your email and provide feedback and a tentative grade.
- The 0 on the Grades screen is only a placeholder.
- I will manually input your final point grade once you submit your revised email.
- If you are satisfied with your tentative grade, let me know via email and I will enter that grade.
- You will have two (2) weeks to revise and resubmit your assignment to me in hard copy.
**You were assigned readings and given PPTs to help you successfully complete this assignment.
- You are responsible for reviewing those pages, PPTs, and notes from class for this assignment. Failure to do so will affect your score on this assignment!