Assignment 1: The Wild Frontier, Part 1
Due Week 3 and worth 70 points
Imagine you are the leader of the IT team at the national headquarters for a company supplying western wear to an international market. The owner, Sam Yosemite, tells your IT team to provide support to four (4) new satellite offices but his instructions are vague and incoherent. You only know that the employees in the new offices (numbering about 20 staff for each) will have to be self-sufficient and mirror nearly all the applications used at headquarters, but on minimal budgets. The satellite offices will be in operation for a combined total of 24 hours each day. Each office will operate based on its own set of local business hours, which do not overlap among other satellite offices. Your IT staff is solely responsible for providing support to the satellite offices. Your boss needs to keep the costs for licensing and support low or risk cutting into the budget for the IT staff salaries.
Write a three to four (3-4) page proposal paper which covers the following:
- Differentiate between best uses of Active Directory (AD) versus New Technology File System (NTFS) permissions.
- Analyze how you would utilize NTFS permissions for security and appropriate access.
- Compare and contrast the advantages and disadvantages of different application server options. Be specific in your configuration specifications.
- Choose an application server option that best suits the needs described by the scenario and explain why the application server option you chose is best.
- Determine the best way configure and deploy file server(s).
- Determine how to configure and deploy printers.
- Use Visio or a similar tool to depict graphically the physical and logical layout of your plan. Note: The graphically depicted solution is not included in the required page length.
- Use at least three (3) quality resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar Websites do not qualify as quality resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the studentâ€™s name, the professorâ€™s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
- Include charts or diagrams created in Excel, Visio, or one of their equivalents such as Open Project, Dia, and OpenOffice. The completed diagrams / charts must be imported into the Word document before the paper is submitted.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Explain the various types of application servers and roles.
- Demonstrate the ability to plan, deploy, and configure application servers and file servers.
- Compare and contrast among the different types of application servers.
- Demonstrate the ability to plan, deploy, and configure print and fax servers.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in application server development.
- Write clearly and concisely about application server development using proper writing mechanics and technical style conventions.