Assignment 1: Privacy, Laws, and Security Measures
Due Week 3 and worth 100 points
You are an information security manager for a large retail sporting goods store. The sporting goods store is involved in the following in which they:
- Maintain an internal network and an intranet protected by a firewall
- Maintain a Web server in the DMZ that is protected by another firewall
- Accept credit card sales in the store and over the Web via e-Commerce transactions
- Maintain an email server for employee email communication and communication with other business partners and customers
- Maintain a wireless network within the store
- Use RFID for inventory and theft prevention
- Maintain a Facebook presence
- Provide health screening for high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and other potential health risks
The CEO is concerned about the amount of information that is being collected and maintained within the organization.
Write a page paper in which you:
- Describe the major privacy issues facing organizations today.
- Analyze the major privacy issues described above and compare that to the potential privacy risks facing the sporting goods store.
- Explain the security risks and applicable laws that govern the privacy risk.
- Describe the security measures that the organization needs to implement to mitigate the risks.
- Use at least three quality resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar Websites do not qualify as quality resources.
Your written paper must follow these formatting requirements:
This course requires use of new Student Writing Standards (SWS). The format is different than other Strayer University courses. Please take a moment to review the SWS documentation for details.
(Note: Youâ€™ll be prompted to enter your Blackboard login credentials to view these standards.)
- Your paper should include a cover page.
- Your paper should be of sufficient length to fully develop your own ideas that address the items called for in the instructions, and not be filled with â€œfillerâ€ information. Write clearly and concisely.
- The paper should be double-spaced, 12-point font.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Explain the concept of privacy and its legal protections.
- Use technology and information resources to research legal issues in information security.
- Write clearly and concisely about information security legal issues and topics using proper writing mechanics and technical style conventions.
Click here to view the grading rubric for this assignment.