Assignment 1: Careers in Lodging, and Food and Beverage Industries
Due Week 3 and worth 200 points
To prepare for your assignment, review â€œCareer Paths of a Hospitality Management Studentâ€, located at http://www.hcareers.com/us/resourcecenter/tabid/306/articleid/573/default.aspx. This article provides an overview of the various responsibilities of managers that are commonly found in the hospitality and tourism industry.
Next, read â€œA Day in the Life of David Lindahl, General Manager of Daily Diner Frogtownâ€, located at http://minneapolis.eater.com/2013/7/19/6399397/a-day-in-the-life-of-david-lindahl-general-manager-of-daily-diner. Then, read â€œThe Day in the Life of a Hotel GM vs. CEOâ€, located at: http://uromastyx.typepad.com/blog/2014/09/a-day-in-the-life-of-a-hotel-general-manager.html.
Write a four to five (4-5) page paper in which you:
- Describe the various types of management careers that can be offered within each industry (lodging, and food and beverage).
- Compare and contrast the differences between the General Management (GM) positions within the two industries.
- Analyze and describe the growth in overall employment within these two industries and how this overall growth is forecasted within the next ten years.
- Recommend at least three human resource practices in which each industry can better recruit and retain management talent for their respective industry.
- Use at least three quality references. Note: Wikipedia and similar websites do not quality as academic resources.
- Format your assignment according to the following formatting requirements:
- This course requires use of new Strayer Writing Standards (SWS). The format is different than other Strayer University courses. Please take a moment to review the SWS documentation for details.
- Typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the studentâ€™s name, the professorâ€™s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page is not included in the required page length.
- Include a reference page. Citations and references must follow SWS format. The reference page is not included in the required page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Discuss various career opportunities in the food service and lodging industries.
- Describe the significant trends impacting the hospitality industry.
- Analyze the basic procedures involved in managing a restaurant operation.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in hospitality and tourism management.
- Write clearly and concisely about hospitality and tourism management using proper writing mechanics.