You will choose a project to work on based on two (2) different scenarios and all of your assignments will support your selected scenario. When thinking about which project will work best for you, consider your professional and personal experience as an adult, and which project you feel more passionate about and can contribute the most to. The two (2) possible scenarios for your project are:
Scenario 1 â€“ Develop an orientation program for new students at Parker Online Community College
Parker Online Community College (POCC) is situated in suburban Virginia and educates approximately 3,000 students. The average student age is 34 years old. Some students have previous college experience but dropped out for various reasons, and some student just didnâ€™t start college until later in life. Many of the students have full-time or part-time jobs as well as families, and finding the time to study for classes is challenging. Some of the students have previously taken online courses; for others, this will be their first experience with online education. POCC distributed a survey to all new students to identify the primary concerns they had about returning to or starting classes. The following primary concerns were identified by the students:
- Time Management
- Writing Skills
- Connecting With Other Students
- Technology Skills
Your mission will be to create an orientation program for newly admitted students at POCC.
Scenario 2 â€“ Develop an Introduction to Social Media for Professionals program for new clients at Parker Community Career Center
Parker Community Career Center (PCCC) is situated in suburban Maryland, and is a resource center where adults can get advice on career counseling, job search strategies, resumes, and interviews. Many of the clients who come to PCCC for career assistance are over 40 years of age. Through a survey, PCCC has identified the need for these clients to receive education and training on how to use social media to meet career goals. Your mission will be to create an Introduction to Social Media for Professionals program for adult clients over 40.
Assignment 1: Program Design Groundwork
Indicate which of the two (2) scenarios from the Assignments Overview you have chosen as your mission. In this first assignment, you will lay the groundwork for your program design.
Write a three to five (3-5) page paper in which you:
- Discuss three (3) factors that led you to choose your scenario (e.g., professional experience, personal experience, future career goals).
- Find and review three (3) articles from the Strayer University Library/Resource Center on adult learners. Explain how you will use what you learned from these articles to develop your program.
- Discuss two (2) methods that you will employ to create support for your program from internal or external stakeholders.
- Complete a Needs Analysis for your program. Note: You may use Exhibit 6B â€œElements of a Formally Structured Needs Assessmentâ€ as a model in creating your Needs Analysis.
- Use at least four (4) quality peer-reviewed academic resources written within the past five (5) years. Note: Wikipedia and other similar websites do not qualify as academic resources.
- Format your assignment according to the following formatting requirements:
- Typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page is not included in the required page length.
- Include a reference page. Citations and references must follow APA format. The reference page is not included in the required page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Differentiate the needs of adult learners compared to other types of learners.
- Examine the purposes of adult education programs and curriculum.
- Explain the relationship between learning theories/models and program/curriculum design.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in adult learning curriculum design and development.
- Write clearly and concisely about adult learning curriculum design and development using proper writing mechanics.