Business Admin Capstone Course
Use the Internet to research a company with which you regularly do business or are a regular customer. Focus on how that company relates to their customers.
Discussion Question 1
- From the first e-Activity, assess your satisfaction with the company you researched and make recommendations about how that company could modify its business-level strategy to both increase your overall level of satisfaction and to attract new customers. Provide specific examples to support your response.
- Analyze the five business-level strategies discussed in Chapter 4 to determine which strategy the company you researched most likely applies. Determine how your experience with that company might change if it switched to one of the other four strategies (your choice). Explain your rationale.
Discussion Question 2
Use the Internet to research Apple’s strategy for competing against other technology companies.
Apple, Inc: Keeping the “I” in Innovation” Please respond to the following:
- From the second e-Activity and the case study, determine how market commonality and resource similarity impact Apple’s competitive standing in terms of its main rivals. Provide specific examples to support your response.
- Determine what additional steps Apple’s competitors are likely to take and how Apple will most likely respond. Explain your rationale.
Assignment 1: External and Internal Environments
Due Week 4 and worth 350 points
Choose an industry you have not yet written about in this course, and one publicly traded corporation within that industry. Research the company on its own Website, the public filings on the Securities and Exchange Commission EDGAR database (http://www.sec.gov/edgar.shtml), in the University’s online databases, and any other sources you can find. The annual report will often provide insights that can help address some of these questions.
Write an eight to ten (8-10) page paper in which you:
- Choose the two (2) segments of the general environment that would rank highest in their influence on the corporation you chose. Assess how these segments affect the corporation you chose and the industry in which it operates.
- Considering the five (5) forces of competition, choose the two (2) that you estimate are the most significant for the corporation you chose. Evaluate how well the company has addressed these two (2) forces in the recent past.
- With the same two (2) forces in mind, predict what the company might do to improve its ability to address these forces in the near future.
- Assess the external threats affecting this corporation and the opportunities available to the corporation. Give your opinions on how the corporation should deal with the most serious threat and the greatest opportunity. Justify your answer.
- Give your opinion on the corporation’s greatest strengths and most significant weaknesses. Choose the strategy or tactic the corporation should select to take maximum advantage of its strengths, and the strategy or tactic the corporation should select to fix its most significant weakness. Justify your choices.
- Determine the company’s resources, capabilities, and core competencies.
- Analyze the company’s value chain to determine where they can create value using the resources, capabilities, and core competencies discussed above.
- Use at least three (3) quality references. Note: Wikipedia and other Websites do not quality as academic resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Identify how the six segments of the general environment affect an industry and its firms.
- Identify the five forces of competition.
- Analyze the external environment for opportunities and threats that impact the firm.
- Analyze the internal environment of a company for strengths and weaknesses that impact the firm’s competitiveness.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in business administration.
- Write clearly and concisely about business administration using proper writing mechanics.
International Problem Course
“The Israeli-Palestinian Conflict” Please respond to the following:
For thousands of years, up to the 20th century, the land of Palestine was a homeland for Christians, Jews, and Muslims. In the 20th century, the British got involved in the Middle East in several ways, culminating in the attempt to make Palestine a “homeland” for European Jews. Before you respond to this week’s discussion questions, visit and review the ProCon.org Website about the Palestinian-Israeli conflict at http://israelipalestinian.procon.org/. It is one of the most thorough, unbiased, and detailed sites on the subject.
- Hypothesize why one might feel hopeful about the future of the conflict. If there is no reason to feel hopeful, explain why.
- Based on your readings in Roskin and on your familiarity with current events, speculate on the probable future of the dispute. Be sure to address different points than covered in your first response.
Introduction to Finance Course
Post a Pin that relates to the topics covered this week and write why you chose this item.
Explain how to find interest rates and time requirements for problems involving compounding or discounting.
E1 Go to the Federal Reserve website, http://www.federalreserve.gov. Go to “Economic Research and Data,” and access “Consumer Credit.” Find interest rates charged by commercial banks on new automobile loans, personal loans, and credit card plans.
- Compare the current or recent level of interest rates among the three types of loans.
- Compare trends in the cost of consumer credit provided by commercial banks over the past three years.
P2 Find the future value of $10,000 invested now after five years if the annual interest rate is 8 percent.
- What would be the future value if the interest rate is a simple interest rate?
- What would be the future value if the interest rate is a compound interest rate?
P3 Determine the future values if $5,000 is invested in each of the following situations:
- 5 percent for ten years
- 7 percent for seven years
- 9 percent for four years
P4 You are planning to invest $2,500 today for three years at a nominal interest rate of 9 percent with annual compounding.
- What would be the future value of your investment?
- Now assume that inflation is expected to be 3 percent per year over the same three-year period. What would be the investment’s future value in terms of purchasing power?
- What would be the investment’s future value in terms of purchasing power if inflation occurs at a 9 percent annual rate?
P5 Find the present value of $7,000 to be received one year from now, assuming a 3 percent annual discount interest rate. Also calculate the present value if the $7,000 is received after two years.
P7 Determine the present value if $15,000 is to be received at the end of eight years and the discount rate is 9 percent. How would your answer change if you had to wait six years to receive the $15,000?
P16 Use a financial calculator or computer software program to answer the following questions:
- What would be the future value of $15,555 invested now if it earns interest at 14.5 percent for seven years?
- What would be the future value of $19,378 invested now if the money remains deposited for eight years and the annual interest rate is 18 percent?
P17 Use a financial calculator or computer software program to answer the following questions:
- What is the present value of $359,000 that is to be received at the end of 23 years if the discount rate is 11 percent?
- How would your answer change in (a) if the $359,000 is to be received at the end of 20 years?
P19 Use a financial calculator or computer software program to answer the following questions.
- What would be the future value of $19,378 invested now if the money remains deposited for eight years, the annual interest rate is 18 percent, and interest on the investment is compounded semi-annually?
- How would your answer for (a) change if quarterly compounding were used?