In 2014, the home of Miami Heat player, Ray Allen was broken into by 7 teenagers. A short article on the break-in can be found here: http://www.local10.com/news/local/group-of-young-adults-break-into-ray-allens-home-
- Research the Ray Allen break-in. Focus on the investigation, the charges, and sentencing.
- Review the elements of burglary at common law as outlined in your textbook.
- Review the Florida Statute on burglary and trespass found here: http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0800-0899/0810/Sections/0810.02.html
Based on your research, and utilizing the proper terminology from Chapter 7, answer the following questions:
- Based on the initial article linked above – would you have charged burglary or trespass? Explain.
- Did it matter that Mrs. Allen was home with her children at the time of the break-in? Why or why not?
- If this event had occurred under a common law jurisdiction, would your answer be different? Why or why not?
- Do you agree with the charges that were ultimately filed under Florida law? Why or why not?
- Do you think that the punishment was sufficient? Why or why not?